Sunday, September 18, 2011

our engagement

Monday, June 6

4:30 Seth and I meet up for a lunch break during work.
5:00 He finally decides for sure that he wants to marry me.
5:15 He goes to his bank to withdraw the payment for the ring I had shown him.
5:30 He leaves work early to pick up the ring.
6:30 We have this text conversation:
             Seth: I don't feel like making dinner tonight. Let's go out to eat.
             Me: That sounds like fun, but I don't mind making dinner. How about taco soup?
             Seth: No, I really want to try this restaurant my friend recommended.
             Me: Well, I'm not going to get home from work until 9:30 and we were going to go to the gym, too.
             Seth: Let's skip the gym and get dressed up and go out. I'll make a reservation for 9:15. Text me when you're on your way home.
7:00 My imagination starts running. I have this text conversation with Chelsea:
             Me: I think tonight might be the night!
             Chels: Stop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
             Me: [I recap the conversation Seth and I had] But I don't know what time I'm going to get home.
             Chels: Just leave work! Do I need to come get you??
7:45 Seth calls my team leader (his roommate) to ask if we can all leave work early so he can propose to me that night.
8:00 My team leader calls and says we're leaving early.
8:05 I text Seth to tell him that by some "miracle" I'm on my way home 30 minutes early!
8:20 I do my makeup in the car (don't worry; I wasn't driving) to get a headstart on getting ready for our date.
8:30 Seth remembers that he hasn't asked my dad yet for his blessing.
8:35 Seth remembers that he doesn't have my dad's phone number.
8:40 He goes to Chelsea and Trent's house to get the number and shows them the ring.
8:41 Chelsea almost dies.
8:42 She tells him that I've been texting her and I'm on to him.
8:45 They come up with this plan to throw me off:
8:50 Seth texts me and says that he needs to stop at Walmart, so he'll be a minute late picking me up.
9:00 Chelsea texts me and says she has bad news: Seth saw Trent at Walmart and he invited Trent and Chelsea to dinner with us. That's not a good sign if he intends to propose.
9:01 I text her back and tell her I hate her and everything else.
9:02 She says she knows.
9:06 I finally get home and put on a cute outfit.
9:15 Seth picks me up and we go to dinner.
9:30 At the restaurant, he orders us a smoothie. We never have special drinks.
9:40 We hear a girl at the table behind us call her grandma and tell her she had just gotten engaged. Seriously.
9:41 Seth asks if I'm disappointed that we're not engaged. Very sly.
9:42-10:15 Seth is especially sweet and charming.
10:20 We go to a spot on the mountain that overlooks Provo.
10:22 We get out of the car and he stands behind me and puts his arms around me. I feel his heart beating super fast.
10:25 He starts talking all romantic.
10:30 We kiss.
10:35 More romantic talk.
10:40 He asks if I'm ready to go to sleep with him every night and wake up with him every morning.
I say yes.
He says "prove it," gets on his knee, and pulls a gorgeous ring out of his shirt pocket.
I laugh and kiss him.
10:42 We're engaged!

3 comments:

  1. This is so cute Nikki! :) I'm so glad you are so happy now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! That is one of the cutest engagement stories EVER!!

    Can you believe we never sent you your wedding gift?!?!

    We even talked about the amazing things we could get you and decided on a boring gift card (they were always our favorite wedding gifts), but now that you are moving into your new house you will definitely need somethings so if you still want your gift card PLEASE send me your new address.

    I am sry to spoil the gift surprise and feel even worse at my obvious display of procrastination. Please forgive me!

    ReplyDelete