Monday, April 16, 2012

primary survival skills

Something I'm learning how to do in primary:
relating the children's often obscure comments to the subject any way I can

Example:

I held up a picture of the prophet and told the children that the prophet wants us to prepare to go to the temple.

Me: "How can we prepare to go to the temple?"
6-year-old boy: "We have that picture of the prophet at our house!"
Me: "Great, and if you talk about the temple at home with your family, you can learn more about it and prepare to go there someday."

Ta-dah.

3 comments:

  1. One I'm learning: how to explain a ridiculously important doctrine in one sentence, i.e. why did jesus die for us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. You would think that since I have 8-12 year olds, I would not have to relate as many obscure comments back to the topic, but we definitely do. Luckily, it's really fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I substitute in primary a lot, so it's a different group of kids each week. Their comments range from random to hilarious to weird. I am glad you have mastered the re-routing skill!

    ReplyDelete