Wednesday, February 29, 2012

what we do

Seth and I both work for his dad's remodeling company.

Seth sells all sorts of home improvement projects (bathrooms, kitchens, windows, roofs, fences, etc.).  He has been the #1 sales rep for 4 of the 6 months he has been selling :)

I go door to door and set up some of the appointments that he goes to. That's right; I'm a knocker! (I know people have all sorts of opinions about what I do, but just know that I'm super nice and not pushy and that I leave someone's doorstep quickly if I can tell they're annoyed.) I basically "sell" the idea of getting a free estimate on whatever project homeowners want to do for their house.

I've been knocking for just over year. That's when Seth's dad originally hired him to set up a knocking team to generate leads, since Seth was a team leader for a pest control company for a few years. At the time, Seth and I were just dating. He told me about the job, and I told him I wanted to try. That's how we ended up spending practically every day together in the first 6 months of our relationship, allowing it to progress pretty quickly.

Since my job is so flexible (I can work whatever hours I want as long as I meet a quota), Seth and I often meet up in the middle of the day if he has an hour or two in between appointments. We usually get to go out for lunch or go to an afternoon movie (or even just sit in the car and talk--that's good enough for us!) a couple times a week. We love our jobs!



Just for fun, these are some of the most expressive "no soliciting" signs I've come across:





This one is just a little bit hypocritical:

6 comments:

  1. Those signs are hilarious. It's kind of them to let you know how they feel this way instead of yelling at you. Right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! I never used to mind solicitors, but then I had one guy who was really creeping me out, and literally tried to step into my house. Later that week, someone tried to break into our house. After him, I decided I wouldn't answer the door anymore. But now I don't have a peephole anymore, so I made a pretty sign instead. I figure that way if they still knock, I don't have to listen to the creepy pushy guys. I can just shut the door on them. I still want the Girl Scouts to stop by though! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, those signs are awesome. We've actually had problems with solicitors coming to our house a lot lately. I put up a plain "No Soliciting" sign right above our doorbell, but it doesn't seem to deter many people. I had 3 ring our doorbell within the last week, was going to try putting up a "definition of what no soliciting means" so people would get the hint. I pointed out our sign to one guy, and he answered with "Oh, I don't read very well." When Brandon's not home, I don't really feel comfortable answering the door for strangers, so it irritates me when people still insist on ringing our doorbell. We've had some pretty pushy ones too, when I tell them I'm cooking dinner, or if my kids are screaming in the background and I tell them I'm busy and not interested, they keep on going. I'm happy to hear you're more sensitive to people's moods. Wow, what a job though, I couldn't imagine having to deal with people who answer their doors :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those people that is very nice to "knockers" and telemarketers and the like. My rationale is": I would hate that job (I was a telemarketer for about two weeks) and so I project on to everyone else that they must hate that job too. And thus, I should be extra nice because they probably hate their lives. But I'm glad you don't hate your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a good attitude about that job. I don't think I could last a day as a "knocker"

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Mary Kay one is simply priceless!

    ReplyDelete